Monday, January 1, 2007

Happy New Year!

So 2006 is gone. Thinking back to last new years, we had just put Charmingly Awkward out ourselves, I was living back with my parents so I didnt have many bills to pay, and I was longing with every ounce of myself to be where I am today. I feel really lucky to somehow have stumbled on the path that brought me here, I am still so proud of the album we've made, and I'm so proud of what we've been able to accomplish this year. Of course, I have heard it said that the most dangerous thing an artist can do is become satisfied, and so I feel good coming into 2007 content but not completely fulfilled. I feel that in life, you need to put your own happiness before anything else. You only get so long to live, and you owe it to yourself to enjoy it. My biggest goal for the next year is to stay on the path I'm on, and please myself because we all know there's no pleasing everyone. On the other hand, what brings me much happiness is playing shows almost every night, meeting people, and writing... I'm aware of how fortunate I am to have my happiness coupled with my Job. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, I feel like its important to post something up here today of all days....

...I was singing "Chelsea Hotel No. 2" when the years shifted last night. I was in the apartment of a friend of a friend, just the three of us. Outside, the Village erupted in the bar-room clammor of midnight. It rose up a few stories and slipped through the open window. It was just a matter of chance that we happened to be between a party and a bar at that moment, and as we walked up the steps to his apartment it hit me that the new year would arrive without drunken crowd pushing against me, without the champagne soaked lips of a stranger. But thats how 2007 came, and I watched the clock move, I heard the voices rise, and I pushed the words out from the deepest part of my gut, felt the air rush into my blood with every breath, let each syllable crack and strain through my throat. Upon leaving, I realized that the moment which we romantacise as so utterly important (and it it really is fun to do), had been a euphoric one for me, had been in the only state that I feel truely comfortable, where every tension is rushed from my system. Its strange how things fall into place sometimes.

...Happy New year! Lets see how it unfolds...