Friday, February 22, 2008

getting sick

The final night of this session. I can hear piano parts being spliced together through the door, and I'm leaning back on the couch.

I've been coming down with a cold, a cold that I've been putting off for a while. I was about to get sick before I left for Seattle a few weeks back, but I had a lot of things to do, so I decided it would be better to let it come on after I got home, but somehow it didn't really start to hit in full force until last saturday when I was packing up to come down here. Of course, I couldn't come in to the session sick, so I managed to shake it, until last night.

I get so worked up about these recordings that I can't ever sleep quite right, I can't ever take my mind from them, and the funny thing is, I get so tied up in them that I can't really even tell if they are good or great or not.

Carolann fell right into place it seems, the other song we recorded once, then again... and we'll probably do one more version down the road.

The hardest part is writing the songs. That is done. But you can stress and stress over how they should be executed. It would be easier if I fit into a genre and could just put the songs in a mold, but I'm just trying to do what is best for them, so they sound as genuine and organic as they really are, and I'm trying not to take a year in the studio like last time.

We'll see...