Saturday, August 23, 2008

dave smallen

After finishing my new album about six or seven weeks ago, I drove back from Hollywood to Oakland, listening again and again to what I'd recorded. I had been working towards that moment for a full year, and hearing it back, it didn't sound like Street to Nowhere. There was so much distance from all of the incarnations of my music that I had placed under that name. What was coming through my car stereo felt like a fresh start. It felt like... well... me.

I will of course continue to play stuff from Charmingly Awkward. I love those songs and am so proud of all of the work that went into that record, but I am really excited about shaking the band name. It is sort of scary, sort of vulnerable, I'm finding already, to put yourself out there as you are, as you have always been, but It's time.